After medical school and internship, I completed basic surgical training and obtained the intercollegiate Membership of The Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS) in Edinburgh. As fate would have it, synchronous events led to a visit to the Ivo Pitanguy's plastic surgery department in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, which at that time was one of the top plastic surgery units in the world. I completed my residency at the 38th Infirmary Department of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at the Santa Casa Misericordia General Hospital in Rio de Janeiro directly under the renowned Professor Ivo Pitanguy, considered one of the founding fathers of plastic surgery from 2012 to 2016.
After residency, I completed accredited international clinical fellowships in Craniofacial Surgery and Reconstructive Microsurgery spanning 2 years in Asia and Europe.
To me there is no distinction between purely reconstructive or purely aesthetic surgery. This was the ethos of Prof Ivo Pitanguy where even poor patients had a right to beauty as we routinely performed aesthetic surgery for the underprivileged for low cost and for many cases for free.Hence alongside all the reconstructive work that we perform including burns, cleft deformities,hand surgery and trauma; aesthetic surgery was given equal importance in our service in Brazil.I continue to adhere to this philosophy in my surgical practice.
The main focus of my private practice currently is rooted in aesthetic surgery. I perform all aspects of aesthetic surgery of the face and body, from eyelid surgeries, rhinoplasties, facelifts, fat grafting to breast implants, tummy tucks and liposuction. I maintain a robust interest in cleft and craniofacial surgery which remains my reconstructive focus. I am a credentialed cleft surgeon and routinely undertake repair of cleft deformities of the lip and palate.
I find the cross pollination of ideas in aesthetic and reconstructive surgery and its application to both fields to be immensely satisfying.My broad training in Brazil, Europe and Asia provided me with a conceptual understanding on Western and Eastern ideals of beauty in aesthetic surgery.
MB ChB BAO, LRCPSI MRCS (Edinburgh)
Diplomate, Plastic Surgery (Brazil)
Fellow, DAFPRS (Holland)
Fellow, Craniofacial Surgery (Cgmh, Taipei, Taiwan)
Fellow, Reconstructive Microsurgery (Barcelona, Spain)
Credentialed Cleft Surgeon under Mission Smile
- AExPI - Association of Ex-residents of Professor Ivo Pitanguy, Brazil
- Dutch Association of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (Dafprs)
- Mission Smile International
- Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgery
Honours / Awards
Best Plastic Surgery research paper, Jane Brentano Memorial Prize Award 2015 by Association of Ex Pitanguy Graduates http://www.boletim.med.br/boletim/artigos_ver.php?id=349
“Does the use of intraoperative breast sizers increase complication rates in primary breast augmentation? - A retrospective analysis of 416 consecutive cases in a single institution” Plastic Surgery International Journal Volume 2016 (2016), Article ID 6584810 DOI:10.1155/2016/6584810
Main Interest Area
1. Facial cosmetic surgery - facelift, eyelid surgery, browlift surgery, rhinoplasty, facial fat grafting.
2. Breast augmentation surgery (implant based or autologous fat grafting), breast lift(mastopexy), breast reduction
3. Body contouring - hi definition liposuction, lipo abdominoplasty, Brazilian butt lift.
4. Skin cancer and skin lesion surgery with reconstruction
5. Genitalia surgery - Vaginal tightening, Hymen restoration, Penile girth enhancement.
- Lee Seng Khoo, Cheng-I Yen, Chun-Shin Chang, Hung-Chang Chen, Chih-Jung Huang, Yen-Chang Hsiao, “Onlay Fascial Grafts to Silicone-Polytetrafluorethylene Composite Implants in Augmentation Rhinoplasty: A Retrospective Study of 241 Cases” Aesthetic Surgery Journal (ASJ) April 2019: sjz121, https://doi.org/10.1093/asj/sjz121
- Min-Hee Ryu, David Kahng, Lee Seng Khoo & William Wei-Kai Lao, “Preserving Orbicularis Branches of the Zygomatic Nerve with the Orbicularis Oculi Muscle—Superficial Musculoaponeurotic System Flap Complex in Facelift Surgery” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2018 Oct; 6(10): e1961. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6250466/
- Lee Seng Khoo “Burns care in India: unique and continuing challenges”- Plastic, maxillofacial and aesthetic medicine (PMFA) Journal Volume 5 Issue 6, August/September 2018 pp16-18 https://www.thepmfajournal.com/features/post/burns-care-in-india-unique-and-continuing-challenges
- Min Hee Ryu, Lee Seng Khoo, Jay Ouk Lee & Dan Li, “Reframing the Etiology of Facial Sagging from a Facelift Perspective” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Jul 2018, 6(7): e1831 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6110683/
- Chun-Shin Chang & Lee Seng Khoo (2018) “The Versatile Role of Fat Grafting in Restoring Harmony and Symmetry in Facial Plastic & Orthognathic Surgery”, Kawakatsu M, van Neck JW, Choy YB (eds), Advances of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery 1st edition, ISBN: 978-93-87500-09-9.
- Lee Seng Khoo “Noordhoff Craniofacial Foundation—Online Operative Syllabus and Video Review”- Annals of Plastic Surgery January 2018 Jan; Volume 80(1):e2. doi:10.1097/SAP.0000000000001260e2.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29095188/
- Lee Seng Khoo and Hieronymus P.J.D. Stevens “Preventing Electrostatic Contamination of Breast Implants –An Effective and Simple Intraoperative Method”- Aesthetic Surgery Journal (ASJ) June 2017 Volume 37, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1093/asj/sjw225 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27988486
- Lee Seng Khoo and Francesco Mazzarone, “Informed consent and failure to disclose - Legal perspectives for aesthetic surgeons”- Plastic, maxillofacial and aesthetic medicine (PMFA) news Volume 4 Issue 1, October/November 2016 pp14-18 https://cloud.3dissue.com/2883/3770/28522/PMFAON16/files/15.html
- Lee Seng Khoo, Henrique N Radwanski and Ivo Pitanguy (2016) “An Inexpensive Method of Liposuction Cannula Port-site Protection” M.A. Shiffman, A. Di Giuseppe (eds.), Liposuction –Principles and Practice 2nd edition , Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg Book Chapter 19 pp 129-132 DOI 10.1007/978-3-662-48903-1. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-662-48903-1_11
- Lee Seng Khoo, Henrique N Radwanski, Vasco Senna-Fernandes, Nsingi Nsosolo Antônio, Leonardo Luiz Fernandes Fellet, Ivo Pitanguy- “Does the use of intraoperative breast sizers increase complication rates in primary breast augmentation?- A retrospective analysis of 416 consecutive cases in a single institution” Plastic Surgery International Journal Volume 2016 (2016), Article ID 6584810 , DOI:10.1155/2016/6584810 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4820630/
- Lee Seng Khoo and Vasco Senna-Fernandes- “Hymenoplasty and virginity – An issue of socio-cultural morality and medical ethics” ” Plastic, maxillofacial and aesthetic medicine (PMFA) news Volume 3 Issue 2, December 2015/January 2016 pp12-15 https://cloud.3dissue.com/2883/3770/28522/PMFADJ16/files/12.html
- Lee Seng Khoo, Rafael Dib Porcides and Henrique N Radwanski, “Calibrating symmetry in pre-operative surgical markings-the spirit level and laser leveler”- American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery December 2015, Volume 32 Issue 4 pp264-266 • DOI: 10.5992/AJCS-D-15-00036.1 http://acs.sagepub.com/content/32/4/264.full.pdf+html
- Lee Seng Khoo, Francesco Mazzarone, Henrique N Radwanski, Ivo Pitanguy- A simple trick to facilitate the Schwartzman’s maneuver in reduction mammaplasty. European Journal Of Plastic Surgery December 2015, Volume 38 ,Issue 6 pp 515-516 •DOI: 10.1007/s00238-015-1106- 1 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00238-015-1106-1
- Lee Seng Khoo - Circumspectus Medicine: Text and Context –“Course Review :The Aberdeen Cadaveric Hand Trauma Course” Annals of Plastic Surgery Journal October 2015 Vol 75 Issue 4 pp 364 DOI 10.1097/SAP.0000000000000608 http://journals.lww.com/annalsplasticsurgery/Abstract/publishahead/Course_Review__The_Aberdeen_Cadaveric_Hand_Trauma.98167.aspx
- Lee Seng Khoo, Francesco Mazzarone, Luiggi Fayad - “ Case report- Secondary augmentation mastopexy to correct malpositioned nipple areola complex (NAC) and Baker’s Grade III capsular contracture 15 years later” Anaplastology Journal 2015 Volume 4 issue 2 DOI : 10.4172/2161-1173.1000149 http://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/secondary-augmentation-mastopexy-to-correct-malpositioned-nipple-areolacomplex-nac-and-bakers-grade-iii-capsular-contracture-15-years-later-2161-1173-1000149.pdf
- Lee Seng Khoo and Francesco Mazzarone, “Case in focus-Converse scalping flap for nasal reconstruction procedures” Plastic, maxillofacial and aesthetic medicine (PMFA) news, June/July 2015 Volume 2 Issue 5 pp 13- 14 https://cloud.3dissue.com/2883/3770/28522/PMFAJJ15/files/13.html
- Lee Seng Khoo and Vasco Senna-Fernandes, “Revisiting the Curtis procedure for correction of Boutonniere Deformity” –World Journal of Plastic SurgeryVolume 4 Number 2 ( July 2015 Serial 8) pp 180-184 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4537613/
- Lee Seng Khoo, “Letter to the Editor- In response to Plastic Surgery and Aesthetic Medicine: Specialties and Specialists” Plastic, maxillofacial and aesthetic medicine (PMFA) news, April/May 2015 Volume 2 Issue 4 pp 23 https://cloud.3dissue.com/2883/3770/28522/pmfaam15/files/24.htm
- Lee Seng Khoo and Vasco Senna-Fernandes, “Master Class- Plastic Surgery Founding Father Ivo Pitanguy on life, learning and legends” Plastic Surgery Practice , February 2015 pp 20-21. http://www.plasticsurgerypractice.com/2015/01/master-class-plastic-surgery-founding-father-ivo-pitanguy-md-life-learning-legends/
- Lee Seng Khoo and Vasco Senna-Fernandes, "Applying Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do Combat Philosophy in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery—7 Principles for Success," Modern Plastic Surgery, Vol. 4 No. 2 ,April 2014 pp. 21-25. DOI: 10.4236/mps.2014.42005 http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=44419&
- Lee Seng Khoo, Gonzalo Gomez Corona, Henrique N. Radwanski, Vasco Senna-Fernandes ,Ivo Pitanguy - February 2014, Volume 38, Issue 1, pp 256-257. Inexpensive method of liposuction cannula port-site protection. Aesthetic Plast Surg DOI 10.1007/s00266-013-0241-yhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24310579